Friday, July 11, 2008

Our Student Guides: In Their Own Words

compiled by Melissa YF Wong


Bunneth Siek

My name is Bunneth, a recent undergraduate of the Royal University of Phnom Penh History. I am from the Southeast province of Kandal, roughly 60km from Phnom Penh.

I am exceedingly pleased to meet and learn about my newfound friends from Malaysia. During my time with them, I feel satisfied that I am able to help them with getting to know Siem Reap and also to be able to assist them in their choice of interesting news stories that for the blog. Everybody is dedicated and responsible in the work they are assigned in addition to being friendly, active, brave, and well-organized.

They also display a very amazing show of comradeship. The reason why I say this is because they seem to truly enjoy each other's company. The jokes they make as a result of what I suspect are derived from joyful personalities are inspiring to me. From them, I have learnt to be a little more outgoing and a little less shy. I hope the friendship will last forever.


Borey Yin

Hello everyone, my name is Borey, also a year four student with the Department of History at the Royal University of Phnom Penh. I am glad to be in Siem Reap province with some students from Monash University Malaysia. All of them are very friendly especially Dr. Yeoh who I find is very active; he likes talking and I feel that I can learn a lot from him. Moreover, you all are so funny particularly Feeza and Melanie and I like their contagious laughter and I find myself laughing much more when I am with them.

I also learn about Malaysia from my roommate Melissa. We exchanged our knowledge of Cambodia and Malaysia as well other countries such as Indonesia, Slovakia, Sri Lanka in dialogue with other Monash students. I feel proud that they have come to visit Cambodia, and with such a willingness to learn of our culture. I like that they enjoy the local cuisine and find pleasure when they compliment it. The trip to the Angkor Wat was particularly tiring for me but the atmosphere in the van picked me right up what with the jokes everyone was still in good humor to make despite being tired.

I hope for a never-ending friendship and I wish my Malaysian friends all the best in their future undertakings.


Bona Hak

Hi everyone! I am Bona, a student from Royal University of Phnom Penh in the studying second year history. I am exited to be guiding Malaysian university students for eight days under the leadership of Dr. Yeoh.

I have learnt many things from the such as the sessions conducted at the of Centre of Khmer Study (CKS), COHRE (Centre of Housing Rights and Eviction), and training at Life and Hope Association. Moreover, we have joined for the Angkor Association for Disabled and interviewed the disabled people there and listen to the stories they have to tell.

I feel that I have plenty of experiences to take back with me to Phnom Penh and I will share them with my friends. Within six days, I have discovered my Monash friends to be hardworking and friendly. Alhough we are so different culturally, we still find many things in common. I like the way they learn and more importantly, the way they are able to cooperate with each other and prioritise teamwork. I also find them helpful and accommodating.

It's cool to be able to learn about other societies in my own country and especially through the eyes of foreigners who want to love it as much as I do.


Thach Sorn

My name is Thach Sorn and I am also with the Royal University of Phnom Penh. I study History. I am very happy that I have the good opportunity to be a student guide for the students of Monash University. I felt nervous meeting them for the first time but I found them approachable and easygoing. Thus, my fear dissipated. The sessions I attended with them were very informative even for me as a Cambodian. I am also able to pick up some of the skill they were trying to practice such as interviewing and writing. The experience was certainly very educational.

I felt happy going around Siem Reap with the students; in particular, to the Angkor Wat where I could demonstrate and apply the knowledge I have studied in my own university. I guess you could say that we had a healthy exchange of views both intellectually and socially.

I would like to thank Dr. Yeoh for bringing my new friends to Cambodia and although we have not known each other long, I cherish the friendship and the hope of meeting all of you again.


Kosal Din

Hello everybody. I'm Kosal Din. When I got to know from my brother that several students from Malaysia will be visiting Cambodia and a student guide was needed, I was very excited as I anticipated the prospect of making new friends and conversing to them in English which I seldom get to do.

When all of us arrived at Siem Reap province on 4 July 2008, all that I had anticipated became reality. The highlight of my Siem Reap trip came yesterday with the visit to the temples of Angkor Wat, Ta Prohm, Bayon, Prah Khan, and Bakheng temple. Being able to explain the true Khmer experience in English to the students guide was especially fulfilling especially since I study History.

I appreciate that Monash students want to learn about Cambodia especially our culture, traditions, history and workings of society. I hope my friends from Malaysia have enjoyed themselves as much as I have. Last but not least I wish everyone all the best in their studies.

No comments: