Saturday, July 12, 2008

Closing entry by Co-editors Mindy and Maxine

by Mindy Wong


I am thrilled to say that every individual who has been part of this year's study trip, In Search of Siem Reap, has contributed an enormous amount of time and effort to this blog. In terms of the high level of contribution, and I'm not only pointing fingers at those who were the last to leave the cyber café (you know who you are). I would honestly say that it was the little things people did that smoothed out the bumps for others. This spanned from giving and accepting constructive criticisms to offering to buy refreshments or giving each other a gratifying pat on the back.


Sketches of Siem Reap: A flower grown in the premises of Wat Damnak

Each of us have encountered truly unique experiences in the pursuit of our soft stories, such as the invitation to a local birthday party and classic moments like snapping the guitar string that belonged to a tuk-tuk driver! For most of us, we have fine-tuned our bargaining skills. Some of us have also learnt how to handle aggressive stray dogs without combat, accustom ourselves to temperamental downpours and dust, as well as acquire an appreciation for local Khmer food.

In this aspect, I would have to admit my addiction for salads. In one of the days I had up to three salads! So I've had my fair share of vegetable, pork, shrimp, glass noodles and Western as well as Khmer salads, which I will terribly miss.


Sketches of Siem Reap: A vase from the ceramics centre

I think I might have been too comfortable with the laid back way of life in Siem Reap. This means that when I am back in Kuala Lumpur, I constantly need to be reminded that I can no longer cross the road with my eyes half closed, head turned elsewhere, hoping that motorcyclists and bicycles will slow down for me, as they have courteously done so in the past week.

Sketches of Siem Reap: A pencil shading of a stone carving at Angkor Wat

As I complete my final entry as co-editor for this trip, my most vivid recollections of Siem Reap, in no particular order, are a compound of: -

- the smoky, grilled chicken vendors we were bound to walk past at some point of the day
- la-di-da-ing to the Indiana Jones theme song on our first tuk-tuk ride
- the first stylish and hearty meal I had at the Khmer Family Restaurant
- the low-lying rainbow of heavenly beauty at Angkor, and oh boy, I could go on…

Another great pleasure was working as the co-navigator with Maxine on our editorial magic school bus because we complemented one another. To my editorial buddies, Fabian, Kemi and Melanie, thanks very much for always being readily available to dwell straight into work mode and stay that way! As the days progressed, strong communication skills were evident between the photography, video and blog teams which made the trip a blast!


Sketches of Siem Reap: The roots of a tree trunk growing over the walls of Ta Prohm temple

If you ask what I have taken away with me from Siem Reap, it would be a new page in my secret recipe book, a reviving drink I wish I could readily have right now - sugarcane juice with a tinge of lemon makes the world go round and round…


***


by Maxine Lim


The journey, In Search of Siem Reap, through editing has been an interesting one at best. Like any other study trip, taking on the mantle as the co-pilot of this editing ship with Mindy has come with a lot of learning curves, from unexpected situations like viruses attacking our pictures to minor internal strife.

In retrospect, I would not have given up any of the experiences I have gained in Siem Reap. It has been a challenge putting all sorts of journalistic theory into practice but what a worthwhile challenge it has been! It has taught me to better understand the human character and to roll with life's little surprises. Perhaps most importantly, I have learnt through observation, to adopt the Zen-like calmness of the truly inspiring Khmer people and their tenacity to always remain positive despite facing severe difficulties.

There are so many people who have made it a joy to work with, in this trip. Of course, the main ones are our wonderful and tireless pool of editors, Fabian, Melanie and Kemi who throughout the course of this trip, worked as if they did not have the words 'Quit' or 'Tired' in their vocabulary at all! The support group of all the various departments, Video, Blog and Photography made editing a smoother job than it was.

As I type this, I am reminded of time spent in the cyber café, bustling to and fro as we rushed to meet the deadlines and frantically working in tandem like a well-oiled Monash Machine that we were, to put up our stories on time. If I could preserve one lasting memory of our study trip, it would be this: To be surrounded by friends, working together with one aim in mind while we laughed over the events of the day and smiled apologetically at the cyber café owner for constantly staying past closing time.

The walk back to Popular Guesthouse in the dead of night was a time for all of us to wind down, content with our day's work and looking forward to what tomorrow would bring. It has been an amazing journey. Until we meet again. Chum riep leah.

No comments: